Skip to main content

Cornwall, The Granite Kingdom

I read and reviewed Tim Hannigan's (2021) TheTravel Writing Tribe: Journeys in Search of a Genre, back in July 2021, please see full review on Amazon, so I became too impatient to wait until I could buy the hardback of Tim's 2023 book, and have started to read it on the iPad. It gives me the opportunity, though, to express my delight at my favourite early scene from Tim’s Cornish journey in The Granite Kingdom 



The exact spot where…

When I'm teaching, I encourage my student-writers to focus on embodied experiences at precise locations to enact the physicality of the layout of the land, the term that we borrow from geography in literary tourism studies is poetic geomorphology. My chosen scene from Tim's travel book on Cornwall has already found its way into my workshops. I will be careful not introduce spoilers as I share the moment below. I have taken the Mousetrap Oath.


‘The water was shallow here, glittering over stone, but what I was contemplating seemed horribly transgressive. I stood there for a long while, wondering whether I needed to take my boots off, then went for it without doing so: four or five mincing steps, a handhold on an exposed root, a brief and muddy scramble and I was over the border. There was no abrupt change of atmosphere. No one challenged my trespass. Crossing over was not as hard as I might have thought.’ (Hannigan 2023. Unpaginated ebook).

The narrator in this scene above, takes the readers through a kind of catacosmesis in his emotions from the 'horribly transgressive' to the resolved calmness of 'not as hard as I might have thought'. Framing this same scene of movement is a further complex reference to borders, and in another literary process Hannigan mixes hints of other border crossings from other writers and times with this simple scramble across a shallow stream.

This is one of those books that I'm going to read many times.





Please Follow us on Google Blogger, preferably from your gmail account. You will need our url address to paste-in, so please copy this before you click on the green Follow link     

                                 https://travelwritersonline.blogspot.com/


Or you can follow by email by opening the About panel at the top of the page and following the instructions. 


 





Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

Imagining Tourists and Tourism Conference Paris

Imagining Tourists and Tourism Conference - Paris 19-21 June 2024 Aims of the Conference The conference aims to explore the links between tourism and fiction, and more precisely to consider tourism and tourists as fictions. It is part of a series of conferences organized since 2011 by researchers from the Universities of Geneva, Panthéon-Sorbonne and Berkeley to explore the links between tourism and the imaginary. The first four meetings had evoked how tourism mobilized imaginaries specific to destination countries, their landscapes, their cultures and their inhabitants. The fifth conference will focus on the imaginary that applies to tourists themselves. Imaginary tourists We will examine how the various actors of tourism, as well as the places and practices of tourism, appear in works of fiction. Literature, cinema, theater, song, advertising, etc., stage tourist configurations, which are sometimes at the very heart of these fictions.  Fictional tourists include those invent...

TRAVEL WRITING AS AN INSTRUMENT OF CULTURAL HERITAGE PROMOTION

  TRAVEL WRITING AS AN INSTRUMENT OF CULTURAL HERITAGE PROMOTION This study contributes to the research literature through its approach to equipping tourism content creatives who are entering the professions of destination image communication with platform expertise alongside cooperation and co-creation leadership. Productive skills for travel writers and social media content producers in tourism are significant in the co-creation of sustainable tourist experiences since they are interactive and participative. The two purposes of this study are to implement and improve the dialogue journaling process as a re-usable methodology. The new 3-step processual research methodology is explained through a case study with stakeholders and project leaders in Brežice, Slovenia. The paper contributes to pragmatic tourism management concerns and practice by reporting findings from a real-world process project on cultural heritage that provides a re-usable solution. Please cite as: Potočnik Tople...

Sustainable Narratives and Technologies in Tourism

 Sustainable Narratives and Technologies in Tourism  Sustainable Narratives and Technologies in Tourism  - University textbook from Routledge (Taylor & Francis). The ISBNs and the main DOI are now available for you to cite the new book in references and bibliographies: Chowdhury, D., Mansfield, C. & Potočnik Topler, J. (Eds.) (2026). Sustainable Narratives and Technologies in Tourism. Abingdon: Routledge. DOI: 10.4324/9781003747185. Hardback  ISBN 9781041255369  Paperback  ISBN 9781041255376   E-book ISBN: 9781003747185  Please login with your Gmail account and follow this page. Then please share with colleagues and post a Comment below. What will tourism look like in the 2030s?  Tourism destination development will take sustainability as a given. Social media and emerging technologies will be integrated into the stories of co-created visitor experience. This book for tourism, hospitality and heritage management explores thes...