Skip to main content

Déjà-vu

The hike up to the castle was familiar. I used to call it a déjà vu because I had done it innumerable times since one of my university classmates brought me here almost 20 years ago. The entrance to the theatre area was rather unassuming - a narrow little alleyway squeezed in between yellow and brown stone buildings, facing one of the busiest roads in Verona. Like a little door to another planet I thought. Or better, like a little door to the past. My past and Verona’s past. Or the other way around. 


I smiled as I entered the alley, remembering the many visitors I brought all the way up to the castle. How many times we had to stop with the Asians, taking pictures of the bright pink orchids growing from the old, cracked stone walls. Apparently the occasional foreigner found its way here also without me, I thought, as I passed sweaty-looking and rather heavily breathing visitors of Northern European appearance on the first set of stone steps, winding narrowly along the buildings. Here we go, I mumbled to myself - the climb begins, old man! There is something fascinating about walking up a long set of stairs, I thought, as I passed the first stone blocks and column fragments which once belonged to the majestic Roman theatre built on the hillside leading up to the castle. People don’t like to show their weaknesses. I smiled, as I saw the first group of exhausted tourists resting about one fourth up the way. Of course, not resting - they were pretending to take pictures of what once was probably a lion sculpture. Or an eagle, maybe? It did have a pointy nose or snout, I thought. I looked forward to reaching the little gallery halfway up. Another good excuse to slow down the journey. I always liked to read the graffiti on its damp, musty walls. My favourite was “I hate people and people hate me: but I hate them more”. I smiled as I passed by this masterpiece of modern satire. I had always wondered who wrote this. Maybe someone with a good sense of humour. Or a serial killer. Either way, the first drops of sweat paid off as slowly I reached a good elevation on the winding stairs. To my right, the stone ranks of the theatre emerged through a sea of sun beaten blocks and pillars, while the afternoon sky turned into the first shades of bright orange. “Under the skies of an Italian summer”, I thought to myself smiling. Those were the lyrics to the title track for the 1990 Football World Cup in Italy, which I fondly remembered watching with my father. This and my heavy breathing about three quarters up the stairs were a testimony that time was passing faster than I thought. The roar of the traffic seemed further away now and the chit-chat of the crowd on the massive plateau a lot closer. Hope at last.



About 5 minutes later, I sat on the terrace of Castel San Pietro, a renaissance hillfort on top of a 2000-year-old Roman theatre complex in Verona, Italy. The sunset was painting the city in shades of orange and red. I was assuming it has done so for millennia – it certainly has for decades, as this has been my retreat of choice for at least 15 years. The evening breeze was pleasant, and one could hear the city traffic faintly, like a whisper in the distance. I thought that even traffic can be beautiful if it fits the scenery. It felt like time was standing still, looking at the roman stones which had stood the test of time. In my rollercoaster-life, this place remained strangely unchanged. As I sat here, I remembered the countless times I had watched the sunset in the city before, with people who have come and gone sitting with me. Maybe I missed some of them, maybe I just missed the person I used to be when sitting with them. But then again, the certainty that these stones will be here long after I am gone and that I was just a piece in the millennial puzzle of this city gave me a strange comfort. As I smiled, I realized that thousands must have found it before me in the very same spot.



Dr Philipp Wassler created this travel story on Verona during the pilot of our Travel Writers Online summer school in June 2020, the first summer of lockdown. Thank you to Philipp for letting us publish it here in our digital magazine, TRAVEL WRITERS ONLINE 

To cite Philipp's story: 
Wassler, P. (2022). ‘Déjà vu’ Travel Writers Online [Online Accessed 27.7.2022] < https://travelwritersonline.blogspot.com/2022/07/deja-vu.html> ISSN 2753-7803

 

Comments

Follow by Email

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

Imagining Tourists and Tourism Conference Paris

Imagining Tourists and Tourism Conference - Paris 19-21 June 2024 Aims of the Conference The conference aims to explore the links between tourism and fiction, and more precisely to consider tourism and tourists as fictions. It is part of a series of conferences organized since 2011 by researchers from the Universities of Geneva, Panthéon-Sorbonne and Berkeley to explore the links between tourism and the imaginary. The first four meetings had evoked how tourism mobilized imaginaries specific to destination countries, their landscapes, their cultures and their inhabitants. The fifth conference will focus on the imaginary that applies to tourists themselves. Imaginary tourists We will examine how the various actors of tourism, as well as the places and practices of tourism, appear in works of fiction. Literature, cinema, theater, song, advertising, etc., stage tourist configurations, which are sometimes at the very heart of these fictions.  Fictional tourists include those invented by the

Brežice, a place of mystery

Brežice, a place of mystery           Photo: Water tower in Brežice, Bine Leben, 20.1.2024     Travel writing from the University of Maribor, Faculty of Tourism. Masters Programme: English in Tourism – Higher Level 2    Author: Teja Leben     Mentor: Dr. Jasna Potočnik Topler     Brežice, a place of mystery     Already from afar, after the highway exit for Krško from the direction of Ljubljana, I notice the silhouette of Brežice, highlighted by the Water Tower and the bell tower of the Church of St. Lovrenc, which I read about before the trip. Both rise above the houses and grove of the old town. Otherwise, you can also see a few taller high-rise buildings next to them, but very few, so even from a distance it can be concluded that Brežice is a small town. I am on the right track, as I would like to discover something more about Brežice and share it with the world.     Photo: Brežice from highway,  Nina Lovrek, 21.1.2024     The confluence of the Sav

1 Social Media Storytelling for Sustainable Destination Campaigns

 1 Social Media Storytelling for Sustainable Destination Campaigns On 8th January 2024 we launched our Teaching Pack called: Social Media Storytelling for Sustainable Destination Campaigns . It is a teaching companion with instructor resources for our textbook from Routledge (Taylor & Francis) called: Travel Writing for Tourism and City Branding: Urban Place-Writing Methodologies . Link is book cover below:   The Launch Calendar Initially, the texts and slides for the launch are in beta-test and we encourage you to explore the materials through the first semester of 2024 to let us know any suggestions that will help other lecturers use the resources.  To communicate with the writing team, we have opened several channels in the hope that you will find your preference.  All our channels are listed on our About page  - please Click Here to view and choose which ones to follow. To cite Potočnik Topler, J. & Mansfield, C. (2024). Social Media Storytelling for Sustainable Destination